Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Of Coughs, Flu and God Almighty

I am trying to recover from one of those bugs that seasonally fly around. It been so bad that this has been one of the rare times I've actually gone to the pharmacist to get myself drugs for it. As usual the pharmacist asks what symptoms I have. Running nose, cough, fever, and one painful headache. All standard. Then he asks "Wet cough or dry cough." Usually I answer without thinking so much "Dry Cough." After all wet cough does give me a picture of some undersea noises as you cough through a mass of liquid. For some strange reason this time I decided to ask what the difference was. Horror of Horrors, I discover then that what I'd always presumed to be a dry cough is defined, at least by the pharmacist, as a wet cough. I, apparently, have been using the wrong definition for all my life!

Cough and flu done. So what has this got to do with God Almighty? I was tempted to say nothing, however something did come to mind. I have two friends on the opposite side of the God spectrum. One believes in God. The other doesn't believe in any gods. Then again, I have may friends who believe in God, or gods and insist that these entities exist while others insist that it is impossible to know whether they exist. What I have noticed with all these people is that they all seem to presume they are using the same definition of God, or gods, as the other.

Every time I challenge one or the other to prove their stand I get a mass of contradictions. One would think they are actually discussing different concepts while thinking the other is discussing their concept. I've realised that most of us have our own internalised definition of God which may not necessarily be what the other thinks of as God.

Which brings me to the crux of the matter. Exactly who, or what, is God?

1 comment:

Ruth Kihiu said...

i really like this one, whats that about wet and dry coughs ...I am smiling so hard